Wednesday 2 February 2011

Gold, frankincense, myrhh and socks

I was in the middle of putting on some socks this morning. I was 'half-stockinged' or 'semi-stockinged' if we talk in terms of stockinged feet. To be more specific, I stopped at stockinged toes and balls, where we are talking about the 'balls of the feet'. A thought struck me. I was putting on socks without a clear strategy.

My grandmother was coming round to my place and I'd be in my socks. I would not be wearing shoes because I was at home and you don't wear shoes indoors before you've gone out, though there is a period of time you can walk around at home in your shoes just before you go out. Very few people get out of bed and stick their shoes on straight away and if it was more people that did, they shouldn't. You're putting out a message when you wear socks. To your gran, you're saying 'You I recognise as a relentless and seasoned and proven sock donor. You see me now wearing these socks you bought me earlier and you make a value judgement that I am wearing these above any of the other pairs I have received from you because I have a preference for beige acrylic'. Wear your best socks in front of your granny. Inform. Sow the seeds.

Gold, frankincense and myrhh were all good gifts to get for Christmas in the Middle East around 0AD or 0BC depending on whether you stopped counting Before Christ years in 1BC. But not socks. Not with sandals. Gold has to be a bit special though. I would rather get vouchers than frankinense or myrhh. Gold is a bit on the pricey side though. Your parents would say 'If you want gold it'll have to be your Christmas and birthday present'. But you would take that above any other gift offer because you get the gold for Christmas and when it comes to your birthday your parents always go, 'Oh we can't  just give him nothing on his birthday. He won't have anything to unwrap'.

No comments:

Post a Comment